USCIS to Recall Incorrectly Dated Green Cards

by Joseph McKeown

US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced that beginning May 14, 2018, the agency will begin recalling approximately 8,543 Permanent Resident Cards (i.e., Green Cards) due to a production error. The Green Cards, printed with an incorrect “Resident Since” date and mailed between February and April 2018, were for approved Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, for spouses of US citizens. Since spouses of US citizens may apply for naturalization after three years of permanent residency (and when they meet other requirements), the incorrect date on these Green Cards could potentially cause applicants to wait longer than necessary to apply for naturalization.

To correct the production error, USCIS will send notices to individuals who received the incorrect Green Cards and to their attorneys of record, as applicable. Individuals who received an incorrect Green Card should return it to USCIS in the provided pre-paid envelope within twenty days of receiving the notice. Additionally, they can also return the incorrect cards to USCIS field offices. USCIS says they will send replacement Green Cards within fifteen days of receiving the incorrect card. 

Importantly, for those who were issued the incorrect Green Card, their status as lawful permanent residents is not affected. If they need to travel internationally or prove their lawful permanent residence status while they wait for a replacement card, they may contact the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283 to determine if they need additional proof